Got detained by stillwater pd today for brandishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez. kids these days.

me and two of my roommates carry CONCEALED everywhere we are allowed to by the SDA and we have not had a problem. you screwed up and got what you deserved. Call it a "wake up call". if you can't ride a motorcycle while carrying then you should either sell the bike or sell the gun. either way its your responsibility to assure your CONCEALED firearm stays CONCEALED. intentionally or unintentionally showing a firearm is in direct violation with the self defense act as CONCEALED means CONCEALED means CONCEALED means CAN"T ****ING SEE IT. Was he (the PO) too aggressive? maybe. It was his call and he chose to handle it in such a way that he was in a dominant position should you try to "make his day". If he knew you were a CCL holder to begin with or not, he didn't know it was you on the bike, there's no way no how he knew for 100% certain that you were you and not some thug that just jacked that bike from you. it really shows us something when you come here to complain. My first complaint would be to my lawyer, not a bunch of JBT's, JBT SO's, couch commandoes, and loud mouth hard asses like me.

Good luck with the rest of your time here. :laugh6:

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In reply to buzzgun's comment:
The SDA requires that your weapon be concealed from detection or view (I already posted that part of the SDA). The probable cause was to verify that he was legally transporting a firearm. It is legal to transport an unloaded firearm but for public safety and officer safety, the officer had to verify that fact. As it turns out this is a criminal act since he was carrying a loaded firearm, not concealed. Sounds to me like the officer did everything politely and professionally and in a manner that his department and community would applaud.

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say; learning point for both sides... There is always something to learn, from any side than you look at a situation or occurance.

For this LEO's, I believe that this could have been handled a little better by the officer. You (taymoor) have already cooperatively pulled over for him before the bad part of your situation occured, so you are off to a good start (most motorcyclist don't). If you haven't made a move for your weapon(that he already knows about because of your accidental brandishing) Once you have pulled over, your getting 2 positive checks already (didn't run, didn't grab your gun) Then he should have made some kind of call/warning to you as he stepped out of his car or over his loud speaker to the effect of "Do not reach for your weapon, I know you have a gun, and that this is just a routine traffic stop" He could have had you disarm yourself or came up to you, with your hands on your head, and talked you through his process of dissarming you and have a cordial conversation with you, determing who you are, confirming your identity (he already ran a background check on you according to what you have said)

You as well could learn something from this incident. Do your best to not put yourself in this situation to begin with, wear the protective jacket that is meant for riding that you probably already have. They are vented and feel fine even in 100* weather once you are moving. Wear shirts that aren't likely to "print" or blow up over your weapen or just slide your holster around to the front side right before you get on your motorycle. I've extinsively ridden every style of motorcycle on and off the road (its part of my job, as well as my lifestyle) and if you are leaning on the tank with your crotch/lower abdomine (where a front holster would sit) then you are not correctly positioning your body to properly control your motorcycle.... So a front mount holster or sliding your rear holster around to the front for your ride should not impede your movement or comfort on a motorcycle for short, around town rides (it can be carried differently during long trips and why would you have it on a race track?)

Do I think the LEO acted excessively? Yes.

Do I think this could have been prevented by you? Most Deffinatly.

Do I also think that you should follow this up with the Stillwater PD? Yes, only if the outcome will be in your favor and for the betterment of society at large.

Do I think you should contact Jimmy Bunn at OSBI to find out what your legal rights are and if things went down badly from a legal perspective? Yes. And I will see him next week and invite you to come with me, call me.

Well said

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA requires that your weapon be concealed from detection or view (I already posted that part of the SDA). The probable cause was to verify that he was legally transporting a firearm. It is legal to transport an unloaded firearm but for public safety and officer safety, the officer had to verify that fact. As it turns out this is a criminal act since he was carrying a loaded firearm, not concealed. Sounds to me like the officer did everything politely and professionally and in a manner that his department and community would applaud.

i don't know you and haven't seen you post much but everything you have said in this thread is right on IMO.

[sarcasm] Oh wait, have you taught SDA classes since 1997??? Oh you haven't!? well nevermind then, I don't trust anything you say!! [/sarcasm]

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a lighter note. I got a new knife today that is unquestionably legal. gerber remix 2.0

Attachments

• gerber.jpg
    gerber.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom