I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really so hard for people to part with their gadgets and put their fate into their own abilities, this country wasn't built with a GPS! you go out there and do it or die.

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand your need and am envious of your ability to go. I do question the timing. Middle of October is not a good time to be wondering in the Rockies.
But, given that you're going now, whatever you take that's battery powered, make sure they all use the same size battery. That way you only need one type and can cycle them through various devices if you run low.
The other thing I'd recommend is one of those new fangled ultraviolet water purifiers. Drink from the wrong place up there and your death will not be a pleasant one.
Ok, one more recommendation, Maglight came out with a minimag thats an LED and has a setting for strobe and SOS (just in case). Should be able to find one in most hardware stores for about $22.
I hope you find what you're looking for out there. I think you will.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the need to get away but to ignore your wife's concerns is a tad bit selfish, don't you think??

I am really glad GC and I are not like this. Sometimes he gets his way, sometimes I get mine, but we are very much a team.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the need to get away but to ignore your wife's concerns is a tad bit selfish, don't you think??

I am really glad GC and I are not like this. Sometimes he gets his way, sometimes I get mine, but we are very much a team.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

This whole trip is about being selfish, you can't find yourself without being selfish

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said that I was no expert. I never said I have little or no experience.
I am not some citified sissy boy who wants to drive my beamer into the woods and pet a bear.
I was born on a farm in ramona oklahoma in 1962, I've been trekin' around the woods armed and dangerous since I was 10 years old, I was army recon, I've had survival training, I've ate things most people would'nt hold in their hand, exactly one year ago I hiked the inca trail to the top of maccu picchu in peru.
For an inexpierienced hobby hiker to take on a trip like this would be suicide, but I think I am at a point in my life that I can and need to do this.
I've led a life of adventure and I am trying to keep that from slipping away or die trying

Great that means absolutely ZERO when talking about Mountaineering and Trekking. I never said sissified, everyone with a Trendy North Face tent and sleeping bag thinks they are "Adventurers" now. Funny you say that I did Machu Picchu when I was 8 with my Aunt and Uncle, did you drink the coca tea? A set and determined day hike is bollocks compared to what you are talking about undertaking with ZERO emergency assistance capability...that to me is just foolish.

I mean no disrespect but any person thinking of undertaking this with no emergency lifeline is asking for trouble, Sounds EXACTLY like the dips*it in Into The Wild I SCREAMED at the entire movie because he was a retard. All it takes is one rolled ankle or sprain or MILD upset stomach/fever to send you to the undertaker.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This whole trip is about being selfish, you can't find yourself without being selfish

If that is what you truly believe, I kinda feel bad for you now -- and I feel really, really bad for your wife. Anyone who makes the commitment to stand by you though thick and thin deserves better than that.

And I really do wish you the best. I don't want to hear anything bad coming of this.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great that means absolutely ZERO when talking about Mountaineering and Trekking. I never said sissified, everyone with a Trendy North Face tent and sleeping bag thinks they are "Adventurers" now. Funny you say that I did Machu Picchu when I was 8 with my Aunt and Uncle, did you drink the coca tea? A set and determined day hike is bollocks compared to what you are talking about undertaking with ZERO emergency assistance capability...that to me is just foolish.

yes, I would really like to have some coca tea for this trip. did you hike the inca trail to maccu miccu or did you take the bus to the top?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fully understand the need to get away. Wish I could more.

The only suggestions I have is temper your expectations:

127 miles in 14 days equals at least 9 miles a day. Walking through mountainous terrain under a pack combined with daily chores of hygiene, meal prep, water/food gathering, setting up/tearing down camp, lives little time for 'exploring'.

Another concern I would have if I was prepping for such a hike is food. You aren't going to carry 14 days worth of food. Living of the land is one thing if you've done it before, but it's a gamble even for the highly experience and practiced experts. Have you checked into the licensing and small game hunting regs/seasons where you are going? What's the dog going to eat?

Winter comes early up there....

Good luck, god speed etc....

Latest posts

Top Bottom