Long range shooting / F-Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got this one I could bring to the dance. 300 win mag

ai1124.photobucket.com_albums_l565_OKMike68_100_0977.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah - man you don't need a rifle (I forgot about your .243 build). How are you liking that a Mueller scope BTW?

Moved the Mueller to the AR, but pretty satisfied with it, especially at the price I paid. I gave $130 for it with Burris XTR rings. I have a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x MilDot on it now. Picked that up for a steal too.

Well there you go, looks like you can get started with that! What's the build detail on this one? Have you shot it long distance yet?

Rem 700 .243 factory action, barrel, bolt. Original pre-xmark trigger has been tuned to ~2.5lbs. B&C A2 stock, EGW 1pc base, XTR Med rings, and Bushy 6500 scope listed above. Currently using a no-name bipod. Need to upgrade to a Harris.

I have a SS Hart barrel to go on when I can outshoot the factory barrel.

And no, no long distance with it. Hence my desire to take it out LR.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moved the Mueller to the AR, but pretty satisfied with it, especially at the price I paid. I gave $130 for it with Burris XTR rings. I have a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x MilDot on it now. Picked that up for a steal too.

Rem 700 .243 factory action, barrel, bolt. Original pre-xmark trigger has been tuned to ~2.5lbs. B&C A2 stock, EGW 1pc base, XTR Med rings, and Bushy 6500 scope listed above. Currently using a no-name bipod. Need to upgrade to a Harris.

I have a SS Hart barrel to go on when I can outshoot the factory barrel.

And no, no long distance with it. Hence my desire to take it out LR.

Sounds good! What is the twist on the bbl then? Do you have a load in mind or worked up to take you out to 1000? The 115 DTAC bullet is supposed to be THE bullet at that distance.

I miss my .243s. I had a pair of them but traded them off a long time ago. Great caliber that really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds good! What is the twist on the bbl then? Do you have a load in mind or worked up to take you out to 1000? The 115 DTAC bullet is supposed to be THE bullet at that distance.

I miss my .243s. I had a pair of them but traded them off a long time ago. Great caliber that really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Resurrecting this.

I'm going to try to find somewhere public that's relatively local I can shoot to 3-400 yds or farther if possible. Anyone still interested?

I want to at least *try* shooting 600 yds in time to go to one of these matches. That gives me 5 weekends till the first match. Even if I can't get some LR range time before the March match, I'd like to go anyways, just to watch.

HMFIC, no load worked up to get to 600 even, much less 1k. I do have some 95gr SMK's to try out with it. It's a 1x9.125" twist rate, which I've heard is good to around 100grs. The replacement barrel I have is 1x8.5" twist.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Resurrecting this.

I'm going to try to find somewhere public that's relatively local I can shoot to 3-400 yds or farther if possible. Anyone still interested?

I want to at least *try* shooting 600 yds in time to go to one of these matches. That gives me 5 weekends till the first match. Even if I can't get some LR range time before the March match, I'd like to go anyways, just to watch.

HMFIC, no load worked up to get to 600 even, much less 1k. I do have some 95gr SMK's to try out with it. It's a 1x9.125" twist rate, which I've heard is good to around 100grs. The replacement barrel I have is 1x8.5" twist.

My schedule has become even tighter now with the wife taking a bigger class load this semester. I have an occasional Sat. that I might be able to do something but it just all depends. Right now, it's looking like I won't even get to shoot in the 1000 yd match at TRC the end of March let alone get any trigger time at 600 ahead of time.

Even if you don't shoot, I would advise going and watching and talking to people. It's a great time and just standing on the berm overlooking the range at 1000 yds is pretty cool too. Find someone there that will let you sit with them while scoring and bring a spotting scope too so you can follow along with what's going on with the shooter.

I understand, it's intimidating to get up there without having any experience at that distance and even more so without knowing exactly what your load will do. Unless you can find 1000 yards to shoot at somewhere then getting a good 600 zero and working up data from there is about your only option. I went in blind that way a few years back after being out of the game for 5 years and was on paper the first shot so it can be done though. Remember, they want you to be on the target within 5 shots or they might have you stop shooting.

Anyway... even if you don't get things worked out to shoot in this match, there is another one in Sept. They had this to say on the website about it:

*The September match will be part of a two day event and will require pre-entry. Match entry fee will increase. More details to follow.*

I don't know what that's about... ?

OH - Ps. I don't know if it's still out there (or if I'm remembering correctly either), but I think Red Castle used to have a gong up the draw behind the targets on the right side another 200 yards so you could possibly work up to 800 that way also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom