Long range shooting / F-Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
But at least you can do it to get a base line on how bad you suck. :P

And for moral encouragement? LOL!

My schedule has become even tighter now with the wife taking a bigger class load this semester. I have an occasional Sat. that I might be able to do something but it just all depends. Right now, it's looking like I won't even get to shoot in the 1000 yd match at TRC the end of March let alone get any trigger time at 600 ahead of time.

Even if you don't shoot, I would advise going and watching and talking to people. It's a great time and just standing on the berm overlooking the range at 1000 yds is pretty cool too. Find someone there that will let you sit with them while scoring and bring a spotting scope too so you can follow along with what's going on with the shooter.

I understand, it's intimidating to get up there without having any experience at that distance and even more so without knowing exactly what your load will do. Unless you can find 1000 yards to shoot at somewhere then getting a good 600 zero and working up data from there is about your only option. I went in blind that way a few years back after being out of the game for 5 years and was on paper the first shot so it can be done though. Remember, they want you to be on the target within 5 shots or they might have you stop shooting.

Anyway... even if you don't get things worked out to shoot in this match, there is another one in Sept. They had this to say on the website about it:

I don't know what that's about... ?

OH - Ps. I don't know if it's still out there (or if I'm remembering correctly either), but I think Red Castle used to have a gong up the draw behind the targets on the right side another 200 yards so you could possibly work up to 800 that way also.

I understand tight schedules. I'm not too worried about 1000yd matches yet, would like to get 600 down first, then move out further from there. We'll have to work out a time at some point to hit the range. Be good to meet you face to face. Sounds like my schedule is freer than yours; give me a shout sometime if you're going to hit the range, I'll see if I can make it.

Have been using a place in Binger that the .338LM has seen 1,550 at..

Sheesh, that's a ways out there!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a guy that lives up around Claremore that has his own private range and does some long range shooting too. I met him once at a gun show about three years ago I guess... think his name is Keith?

Anyway, from what I remember, he did some classes and things like that. I don't know if he opens things up for non-student type shooting but if I can find his card or anyone knows, that might be an option to stretch it out too.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My schedule sucks now too. Having a job really gets in the way of my free time :)

I've got some Fed Gold Medal Match King 168gr BTHP ordered (finally). Trying to get some of the ammo replaced that I used up when I wasn't working last year (but these damn pocket knives keep getting in the way).

I recently lost my "long distance" area to shoot as well, so I'm limited to 230 at the local WMA range or at the mercy of friends who have land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom