Long range shooting / F-Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The september thing may be like a couple years ago when they "married" some OKC and Red Castle matches together on one weekend and ended up drawing shooters from 4 or 5 states. One of the best hi-power matches they have had in Okla in years.

mtg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone in the Muskogee area do any long range shooting?

I'd like to learn, but I have zero experience, and don't know anyone personally and locally that does.

I have a friend that's started F/TR, and has tried talking me into it. I just want to get some LR trigger time, and possibly attend / try some F-class matches before sinking money into it.
6.5.jpg

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just hopped on the train as well. I dove in head first, and I’m looking to start shooting in a few matches. If anyone is looking to go to OKgunclub I would love to learn as much as possible. I’m still working up load data and I plan on doing some testing Sunday. I just need some like minded friends to shoot with, and to learn with.

Bergara B14 HMR 24in 6.5cm(blueprinted)
Vortex Razor HD Gen II (3-18x50)

Once I wear this barrel out I plan on moving to an Axiom Action, and I’ll build a new rifle from the ground up.

Attachments

• 9EF5A439-E219-4F62-BD77-402C11D0FC75.jpeg
    9EF5A439-E219-4F62-BD77-402C11D0FC75.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a highpower guy so it'd be an aperature sight .308 match rifle built on a model 70 action. It's seen it's share of 600 and 1000 yards. :)

You wouldn't get to practice anything telescopic with it, but maybe we can find another person with something more like current scoped F class shooters would use.
Thoughts on the 308 at 1000 yards?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thoughts on the 308 at 1000 yards?

It's running out of gas at that distance, and with quite a few target bullets won't even make it to 1K before going transonic. When I shot service rifle competition 20 years ago a few guys were using the .308. Bullet choice back then was the 175gr SMK if I remember correctly, the 168s couldn't make it that far supersonic. However I was stuck using a 5.56 with the 80gr moly coated SMK...it was what we were given to compete with. Talk about having to read wind.

The F-T/R guys are using 30" barrels and 200+ gr bullets these days.

It can be done, but it takes more consideration than a lot of other cartridges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom