Open Carry & Retention class - review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I attended last nights Open Carry & Retention class at H&H. This class was organized by Will Andrews and the instructor was Davis Holston. I, like many others in the class, am not planning on open carrying in most situations, but felt that this training would help me regardless of what method of carry I choose. Davis reviewed many different scenarios of how to defend against a bad guy attempting to disarm you - from frontal attack, to attacks from behind. I feel that the training was well worth the $60 cost (3 hr class), and I learned a lot. Whether you plan on open carrying or not, do yourself a favor and attend this class or any other that teaches retention techniques - it may just save your life one day.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey if everyone does it.....They wont have to make it a Law?
Agreed this should be a part of your ..progressive....Training.
Been a while Ill have to look down here to see if the place I took mine offers anything.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now you're making me wish I still lived in OKC - I always enjoyed taking a class with Will and this one obviously had information that needs to get out. I hope we see similar classes in the Tulsa area over the next few months.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have been CCing for years and never thought about "retention"....

A bump frisk can tattle on a covered gun... and once somebody is aware that a gun is under a shirt.. it's pretty easy to take in a grapple.

We have allowed 17 years of concealed carry... and that has spawned a lot of peole who carry a talisman.

Should the government mandate 'training' or "retention devices". Hell no...in some states they cannot define what a weapon is... It's up to YOU to get some training....and sadly most people dont.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you're making me wish I still lived in OKC - I always enjoyed taking a class with Will and this one obviously had information that needs to get out. I hope we see similar classes in the Tulsa area over the next few months.

www.usshootingacademy.com

Handgun retention, retrieval, and mitigation have been part of the CQT curriculum since USSA opened.

Michael Brown

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$60 a student for class time, even for 3 hours seems to be pretty steep... given that the CCL class I took was only $85 for 8 hours of instruction... and that included 4 hours of range time. Was it a small class / limited number of students? Were there any handouts? Or was it just lecture & demos?

At Frances Tuttle Votech... you can get 32 hours of Phase IV Security Guard training.. including 24 hours of range shooting for only $129. And take 'Survival Skills for the Security Guard' which includes 12 hours of class room time for only $99. All the vo-techs run about the same fees. Phases 1 & 2 [w/ 20 hours of classroom training each] only cost $49 per class.

If I was gonna invest $60 in a 3 hour class.. I would go ahead and spend the extra $40- $70 to get a cleet recognized certificate good toward becoming a Security Guard or PI in the future. The certificates don't have a expiration date. For approx. $330 you could have all the required certificates needed to obtain a Armed Security Guard / Armed Private Investigator license.

I took all my Armed PI / Armed Security guard classes at Francis Tuttle. It was well worth the money and the instruction was top-noch. I took the certificates and got my PI agency license & Armed Security Guard license. Really simple to do. You can make some good money working on the side as a PI or doing Armed Security... while keeping your day job.

Heck, I know a 70 something year old woman right now that got her PI license just a few years ago and does pretty good just tracking down lost realtives for people. With your PI license you can access some data bases that the general public cannot.

---------------------------------------
http://www.francistuttle.edu/default.aspx

Look under Class offerings, Adult & Career Development courses, Course Catalog, Protection / Protecton Services & Security.

Security Officer - Phase IV
Receive instruction in weapon nomenclature & inspection, shooting fundamentals, safety, and 24 hrs of firing range shooting. Sessions one and two meet at Francis Tuttle, Last three days meet at designated firing range. Students may participate in training & receive certification with a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol. Minimum caliber for semi-auto pistols is 9mm & .38sp for revolvers. REQUIREMENTS: Student must be 21 years or older, with 100% attendance. Student must have a reliable and safe service-type weapon that will pass a safety inspection by the instructor, plus a strong side belt-supported holster & at least two magazines or speed loaders. Student will supply their own weapons, plus 400 rounds of factory loaded ammunition for their handgun. (weapons must be in locked trunk, ammunition in separate secured area) PREREQUISITE: Students must complete the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) test, have the results evaluated by a state licensed psychologist and fax results to 717-4168 prior to enrollment. Book is included in tuition. CLEET Certified

Hours: 32.00ID Dates Location Instructor Seats Avail. Discounts Cost Add
103695 Jul 18 - 19, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Wed, Thu
Jul 20 - 22, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Fri - Sun D. McLerran 5+ Senior discount available $129.00 Add
102534 Aug 1 - 2, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Wed, Thu
Aug 3 - 5, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Fri - Sun J. Bauman 5+ Senior discount available $129.00 Add

Survival Skills for the Security Guard
This class is designed for security guards and people who have an interest in learning state of the art survival skills in the workplace. This advanced class covers checking alarms on buildings from the outer perimeter to the inside. With hands-on practical experience exercises, you will learn the proper methods of: Building searches Active shooter Vehicle search Gun handling skills (Approved for 12 hours of CLEET CE credit)

Hours: 12.00
Cont. Ed. Units (CEUs): 12.00ID Dates Location Instructor Seats Avail. Discounts Cost Add
104699 Jun 26 - 28, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Tue - Thu R. Groseclose 5+ Senior discount available $99.00 Add
104701 Jul 24 - 26, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Tue - Thu J. Bauman 5+ Senior discount available $99.00

Last edited:

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$60 a student for class time, even for 3 hours seems to be pretty steep... given that the CCL class I took was only $85 for 8 hours of instruction... and that included 4 hours of range time. Was it a small class / limited number of students? Were there any handouts? Or was it just lecture & demos?

At Frances Tuttle Votech... you can get 32 hours of Phase IV Security Guard training.. including 24 hours of range shooting for only $129. And take 'Survival Skills for the Security Guard' which includes 12 hours of class room time for only $99. All the vo-techs run about the same fees. Phases 1 & 2 [w/ 20 hours of classroom training each] only cost $49 per class.

If I was gonna invest $60 in a 3 hour class.. I would go ahead and spend the extra $40- $70 to get a cleet recognized certificate good toward becoming a Security Guard or PI in the future. The certificates don't have a expiration date. For approx. $330 you could have all the required certificates needed to obtain a Armed Security Guard / Armed Private Investigator license.

I took all my Armed PI / Armed Security guard classes at Francis Tuttle. It was well worth the money and the instruction was top-noch. I took the certificates and got my PI agency license & Armed Security Guard license. Really simple to do. You can make some good money working on the side as a PI or doing Armed Security... while keeping your day job.

Heck, I know a 70 something year old woman right now that got her PI license just a few years ago and does pretty good just tracking down lost realtives for people. With your PI license you can access some data bases that the general public cannot.

---------------------------------------
http://www.francistuttle.edu/default.aspx

Look under Class offerings, Adult & Career Development courses, Course Catalog, Protection / Protecton Services & Security.

Security Officer - Phase IV
Receive instruction in weapon nomenclature & inspection, shooting fundamentals, safety, and 24 hrs of firing range shooting. Sessions one and two meet at Francis Tuttle, Last three days meet at designated firing range. Students may participate in training & receive certification with a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol. Minimum caliber for semi-auto pistols is 9mm & .38sp for revolvers. REQUIREMENTS: Student must be 21 years or older, with 100% attendance. Student must have a reliable and safe service-type weapon that will pass a safety inspection by the instructor, plus a strong side belt-supported holster & at least two magazines or speed loaders. Student will supply their own weapons, plus 400 rounds of factory loaded ammunition for their handgun. (weapons must be in locked trunk, ammunition in separate secured area) PREREQUISITE: Students must complete the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) test, have the results evaluated by a state licensed psychologist and fax results to 717-4168 prior to enrollment. Book is included in tuition. CLEET Certified

Hours: 32.00ID Dates Location Instructor Seats Avail. Discounts Cost Add
103695 Jul 18 - 19, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Wed, Thu
Jul 20 - 22, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Fri - Sun D. McLerran 5+ Senior discount available $129.00 Add
102534 Aug 1 - 2, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Wed, Thu
Aug 3 - 5, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Fri - Sun J. Bauman 5+ Senior discount available $129.00 Add

Survival Skills for the Security Guard
This class is designed for security guards and people who have an interest in learning state of the art survival skills in the workplace. This advanced class covers checking alarms on buildings from the outer perimeter to the inside. With hands-on practical experience exercises, you will learn the proper methods of: Building searches Active shooter Vehicle search Gun handling skills (Approved for 12 hours of CLEET CE credit)

Hours: 12.00
Cont. Ed. Units (CEUs): 12.00ID Dates Location Instructor Seats Avail. Discounts Cost Add
104699 Jun 26 - 28, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Tue - Thu R. Groseclose 5+ Senior discount available $99.00 Add
104701 Jul 24 - 26, 5:45 - 9:45 p.m. Tue - Thu J. Bauman 5+ Senior discount available $99.00

The industry average is about $200-$225 per day so $60 for three hours is not remotely unreasonable.

Michael Brown

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The industry average is about $200-$225 per day so $60 for three hours is not remotely unreasonable.

Michael Brown

$200-$225 per day per student for LEO classroom quality training [maybe]... but for general public class time on 'open carry and retention'.. where you've got a lot of questions coming from relatively untrained students eating up instruction time... I think $60 per student is way too much for 3 hours time.

I've been in classes like this where there is always at least one person who just doesn't 'get it' and has to have everything explained 2-3x's and people ask all kinds of silly 'what-if' scenerio questions. I sure wouldn't pay $60 for 3 hours of class time unless I got some kind of CLEET recognized certificate out of it... like you do with the CCL training classes.

For the kind of weapons & security / applicable law instruction most people would find beneficial.. their local vo-tech can give it to them better and a heck of a lot cheaper than $20 a hour... and that includes booklets and testing... as well as a CLEET accepted certificate of training.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you retread any of your votech classes for $20, as many times as you want? I'll take my chances by paying $60 for 3 hours of hands-on training (still have the cuts and blood blisters on my hands to show for it) taught by a former cop who has been teaching and using these techniques on the job for 25 years. I don't need a silly certificate. I can also go back and brush up on things by retreading the class for $20

Latest posts

Top Bottom