Open Carry & Retention class - review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've spoken to several guys that have taken the CQT class at USSA. I get the impression that its a well thought out class that will test your ability to survive a physical confrontation. How can you put a price on that?

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took CQT last year and will take it again. It was one of the best classes that i have ever taken. Mr Brown is an awesome instructor. USSA also has a Combatives training group on Saturdays that covers things like weapon retention. Training groups are $10 per month extra to the USSA membership and no limit as to how many classes you attend.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$200-$225 per day per student for LEO classroom quality training [maybe]... but for general public class time on 'open carry and retention'.. where you've got a lot of questions coming from relatively untrained students eating up instruction time... I think $60 per student is way too much for 3 hours time.

Take a look at the class prices at USSA and TDSA locally and the road show instructors like Tom Givens or John Farnam.

I think you will find that your impression of the cost of this type of traiing is a little off.

That said, everything is worth what people are willing to sell it for and buy it for.

Those who want good quality, vetted training are not paying votech prices.

Michael Brown

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$200-$225 per day per student for LEO classroom quality training [maybe]... but for general public class time on 'open carry and retention'.. where you've got a lot of questions coming from relatively untrained students eating up instruction time... I think $60 per student is way too much for 3 hours time.

I've been in classes like this where there is always at least one person who just doesn't 'get it' and has to have everything explained 2-3x's and people ask all kinds of silly 'what-if' scenerio questions. I sure wouldn't pay $60 for 3 hours of class time unless I got some kind of CLEET recognized certificate out of it... like you do with the CCL training classes.

For the kind of weapons & security / applicable law instruction most people would find beneficial.. their local vo-tech can give it to them better and a heck of a lot cheaper than $20 a hour... and that includes booklets and testing... as well as a CLEET accepted certificate of training.

If OSS (Will Anderson) puts on a class or sponsers it... you will get the pie... and no whipped cream. I have used Will in the past - he won't waste time... if you don't "get it' your not paying attention and his instructional style kinda makes it hard to side track his programs.
Of course... most of the folks who use his services often are like minded... and things move along. $20 bucks an hour hardly keeps the lights on and gets the bathrooms cleaned up... that' a good value, especially for the quality of services Will's programs provide.

That Vo tec seems to be a good deal... but some of us dont want a PI and tha'ts a lot of time.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue was the quality of the instruction vs the length & quantity of class time you get for your money.

The vo-tech courses I took were all taught by retired police officers & long time PIs [usually retired LEO's] with 20+ yrs of experience. Several brought in guest speakers who also had yrs of experience so we could ask questions while on breaks.

Whether or not you decide to actually get a license to become a security guard or PI...the experience at a cheaper priced vo-techs is certainly not in any way less instructional than what you guys are gettng at a higher price for a less amount of time in your $60 / 3 hour classes. It is much more intense, because it is CLEET certified training that requires the students to be tested on specific details and they must score at least a 85% to pass the course. And that instruction can be used as part of any continuing education requirements.

If you were to apply for a security job or for on-the-job credit toward continuing training in any law enforcement field... your $60 class wouldn't be of any value... the vo-tech course on the other hand would be CLEET approved and recognized by colleges. I used my CLEET certified training for credit that allowed me to CLEP test for and obtain 12 college hours towards my degree. Try that with you higher priced $60 non-CLEET aproved classes.

You can take low-cost certification classes in the use of pepper spray, batons, handcuffs, tasers... I just don't understand why a person would spend a lot of money on a non-certified class.... when they could go take a night time vo-tech class where they would get a state recognized certification cheaper.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To take phase 4 gun training through CLEET you have to go through a week long class and pass phase 1&2 first. Also you have to get a psych evaluation before you can take phase 4.

Some people want to just take a 3 hour coarse and pay $60 and move on. If that's not something for you then let it be. Some people aren't looking to change careers, they just want to improve their skills.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can you say that the training someone receives is not as good as the training you received unless you attended that training also? I can tell you that I am thinking about teaching a handgun retention class starting sometime in the near future. My class will probably be about four hours and cost about $50.

The class I teach will be taught from the same curriculum that CLEET uses. Plus will add some things that aren't in the CLEET course. The CLEET course is not the greatest there is, but that is what I was taught and that is what I know, plus what I have learned through other training.

No, I will not be giving out certificates. If a police officer or security guard wants CLEET CEU hours for the class I can give them a letter stating that they attended, met the requirements, and completed the course. They can then submit that letter and a form and get CLEET CEU hours.

Everyone does not need to attend Security Guard or PI training to get quality weapon retention training.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can you say that the training someone receives is not as good as the training you received unless you attended that training also? I can tell you that I am thinking about teaching a handgun retention class starting sometime in the near future. My class will probably be about four hours and cost about $50.

The class I teach will be taught from the same curriculum that CLEET uses. Plus will add some things that aren't in the CLEET course. The CLEET course is not the greatest there is, but that is what I was taught and that is what I know, plus what I have learned through other training.

Now that would be a much fairer price ratio to class time.. and by including CLEET equivalent curriculum [certificate or not] I could recommend a class like that to someone.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow..... $60 for a class from Will that could help save lives isn't that much, as he's a good instructor. I'll take it over a bubba gump vo-tech class any day of the week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom