Post your project!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some knives I've been working on this weekend. The three larger knives are 3/16" thick 01 tool steel. The small neckers are L6 steel. This is the rough shaping. Still have to do a final shaping with higher grit, and the I'll heat treat them. After that I'll be making micarta handles to put on them. Oh and disregard the beat up plumber hands.

Neck Knives various designs
i42.tinypic.com_x3z38z.jpg

Top to Bottom: Bushcrafting-Bowie combo, Skinner, Razor
i40.tinypic.com_2znz4ig.jpg

Neck Knife/ Mini Skinner
i42.tinypic.com_2mh91mr.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_153w3za.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/24qr3nm.jpg

Skinner
i44.tinypic.com_eis4lj.jpg

Bushcraft
i42.tinypic.com_mlhsp.jpg

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I bought an old lathe that needs a little TLC but before I tear it apart I thought I'd try it out on the coupler / de-coupler I need for my lathe for my target project

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some knives I've been working on this weekend. The three larger knives are 3/16" thick 01 tool steel. The small neckers are L6 steel. This is the rough shaping. Still have to do a final shaping with higher grit, and the I'll heat treat them. After that I'll be making micarta handles to put on them. Oh and disregard the beat up plumber hands.

Top to Bottom: Bushcrafting-Bowie combo, Skinner, Razor
i40.tinypic.com_2znz4ig.jpg
I want to see that Bowie when it is done.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Mrs. Let me play in the garage for a bit today so here is my progress.

Last week I got the coupler / De-coupler turned and drilled. today I made the COG and got them welded together. The first and second pic's are of the completed mech fitted up and the third pic is of the pin that it rides on

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Here is a video of the mech in action and another of the the target cycling

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/tyromeo55/?action=view&current=IMG_0609b-Computer.mp4

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/tyromeo55/?action=view&current=IMG_0611b-Computer.mp4

It still needs the limit switches , switch and charge ports installed, then the motor and mech get a protective lid and the entire unit gets painted

Last edited:

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Ty,

That is looking fantastic!!! Always nice to see something come together.

After talking with you a few weeks ago you got me into looking at a small CNC. I've got the controller built and the steppers so far. I'm waiting for a machine kit a guy is building for me to show up and I'm going to try my luck at cutting some stuff!

[Broken External Image]

Thanks,

Alan

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Ty,

That is looking fantastic!!! Always nice to see something come together.

After talking with you a few weeks ago you got me into looking at a small CNC. I've got the controller built and the steppers so far. I'm waiting for a machine kit a guy is building for me to show up and I'm going to try my luck at cutting some stuff!

[Broken External Image]

Thanks,

Alan

WOW Alan!

Where did you get the case and what software are you using? who's kit did you order? how big is the bed? Details man!!!!!!

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Ty,

WOW Alan!
Where did you get the case and what software are you using? who's kit did you order? how big is the bed? Details man!!!!!!

The machine will be this:

http://microcarve.com/mcMV1.html

I am having him build me a 6" Z-axis for more height so it will be 11" x 9" x 6". I am also going to mount it on a 12" base so I can things attached to, but positioned below the table. It is a "micro", but should be able to cut most anything I need for now.

I found the case, power supply, Geckodrive G540, and steppers at:

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/

I'm still not sure on the software. I've tried TurboCNC (DOS Based), Mach3 (Windows Based), and LinuxCNC (EMC2, linux Based). They all seem to do the job. TurboCNC is simple and efficient, but Mach3/LinuxCNC are more advanced. For the things I plan to cut I may start with TurboCNC.

I am going to use a G540 which comes with 4 stepper drivers. Choosing between parallel style interface (traditional, compatible, legacy) and something newer with a USB interface, I noticed that the USB ones would often lock you into a single software package or type, so I went with the parallel for flexibility as I had an old notebook laying around with a parallel port.

You'll have to come over and watch it in action once I get it running!

Thanks,

Alan

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's an old vintage Collins Tru-Test Axe that I restored.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's an old vintage Collins Tru-Test Axe that I restored.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

^^I don't know why but I like this....restoring old quality tools.....never thought of it.I may have to try this.I'm always coming accross them.Have you done the small hatchet yet S82?

Latest posts

Top Bottom