Ron Paul!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How about liberating European nations from Hitler? Did that make us great? How about expelling Iraq from Kuwait? Did that make us great? I'd say that bothdid. I agree that what the government DOES do and what it SHOULD do are rarely ever the same thing. The transference of wealth to others violates the "legitimate need/unable to meet the need criteria that I listed for people that SHOULD be helped.

All wars are the result of those in power to gain power and money. WW2 was no exception if the entire backstory is known. We still occupy Germany and Japan all these decades later.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All wars are the result of those in power to gain power and money. WW2 was no exception if the entire backstory is known. We still occupy Germany and Japan all these decades later.

You and I differ here and that's ok. I believe that it is possible for a nation to do something because it's the right thing to do however unlikely it may be. Call me an optimist.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you assuming that Syria and Somalia are going to declare stated goals of genocide of another people and develop nuclear weapons? Are you implying that Syria and Somalia are furnishing the weapons used to kill American troops?

Somalia didn't have any nukes, or Libya, we've been there already, Iran was handled by the CIA when they installed the Shah, Lebanon is where we lost hundreds of Marines, no nukes. Syria so far has slipped away but, with their internal problems we could use that as an excuse to complete the neocon plans. We are in a constant state of war. When one ends, there is always a good reason to start another. When they attack us here the morons keep repeating after Bush "they hate our freedom".

I disagree. I believe that helping those that have a legitimate need and that can't meet the need themselves also makes this nation great.

How are you proposing to help? With borrowed money from China? Do you know of any spare change lying around DC?
Does it make sense that we borrow money to finance being involved overseas when the economy according to Geitner is entering a critical stage?
What does it take before we get a hint that when we find ourselves in a hole, we need to stop digging?

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You and I differ here and that's ok. I believe that it is possible for a nation to do something because it's the right thing to do however unlikely it may be. Call me an optimist.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist. Just don't let your optimism cloud the reality. This nation only does the right thing when it follows the advice of President Washington and we mind our own business. Everything else entangles us in situations that steps on somebody's toes and then resentment comes about.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How are you proposing to help? With borrowed money from China? Do you know of any spare change lying around DC?
Does it make sense that we borrow money to finance being involved overseas when the economy according to Geitner is entering a critical stage?
What does it take before we get a hint that when we find ourselves in a hole, we need to stop digging?

To expound on borrowing...

The money borrowed from China is a loan that has to be repaid. Since all credit is debt... the debt has to be repaid by our children, their children and their children. Everyone seems to forget this. It's immoral that Congress seeks to satisfy it's desires today by shifting the debt to future generations. So, how is it that people view the central government as this benevolent, caring, world liberating entity while not realizing that it's economically enslaving it's current and future citizens?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... government (all levels) is not your friend and does not give a damn about you. Ever. Never.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

By stopping the flow of money to those without legitimate need (did you know that 60% of our budget is entitlement driven and thus "mandatory" spending?) and by getting Uncle Sugar out of things he doesn't belong in (health care, education, etc...). If we'd spend our money more wisely at home we'd have enough to help other nations when they needed it.

To expound on borrowing...

The money borrowed from China is a loan that has to be repaid. Since all credit is debt... the debt has to be repaid by our children, their children and their children. Everyone seems to forget this. It's immoral that Congress seeks to satisfy it's desires today by shifting the debt to future generations. So, how is it that people view the central government as this benevolent, caring, world liberating entity while not realizing that it's economically enslaving it's current and future citizens?

Agreed, running huge deficits is appalling. Any public finance textbook will tell you that the golden rule to borrowing is that you should never issue debt if the benefits don't outlast the repayment term. Thus, borrowing money to finance operational expenses rather than capital improvement is considered lunacy. To be fair, 47 out of 50 states have balanced budget amendments in their state constitutions as do a great many town/city charters.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By stopping the flow of money to those without legitimate need (did you know that 60% of our budget is entitlement driven and thus "mandatory" spending?) and by getting Uncle Sugar out of things he doesn't belong in (health care, education, etc...). If we'd spend our money more wisely at home we'd have enough to help other nations when they needed it.

Great plan, we get the domestic leeches off the payroll so that we have money to pay foreign leeches. Like we owe them.
You say that Uncle Sugar doesn't belong in education etc. It is OK for Uncle Sugar to take money from the citizens and send it overseas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ocVj6UWiDI

Latest posts

Top Bottom