I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kbolt
Enthusiast
Last Activity: Today 10:46 AM

Are you talking about when he logged in at 10:46 a.m. on 10-13-2010?

I called BS on this guy when he said he was going to take a fishing reel but no rod, he would just use a willow branch:bolt:

As far as us being "weaklings" nobody said it couldn't be done, just that he should be prepared for the worst. Would you leave your wife for 2 weeks with no way of getting in touch with you in an emergency? that is just stupid, that is the reason we have those things available. roughing it doesn't mean being stupid.

and those guys trained for that kind of thing. and a lot more people tried it and died than made it. get your head out of your @ss.

I took a rock climbing class in college (lived in Colorado). I told my coach on the first day that I was looking forward to conquering some fourteeners (mountains that reach 14,000 feet). He turned to me and said "you can never conquer a mountain, no man can. You can climb it, be a part of it, but climbers that think they can conquer a mountain die trying." It was very profound and changed my perception not only of climbing, but of life in general. I just think that has bearing on this conversation.........

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you leave your wife for 2 weeks with no way of getting in touch with you in an emergency? that is just stupid, that is the reason we have those things available. roughing it doesn't mean being stupid.

Yes, I do this a couple of times a year. If the houses catches on fire she knows to call the fire department. If someone dies when I'm gone they'll still be dead when I get back. Like I said we are raising a very weak generation of Americans. That's why you see them with that freakin cell phone shoved in the side of their head.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I do this a couple of times a year. If the houses catches on fire she knows to call the fire department. If someone dies when I'm gone they'll still be dead when I get back. Like I said we are raising a very weak generation of Americans. That's why you see them with that freakin cell phone shoved in the side of their head.

I am trying to figure out how being prudent is translating into being weak.

However, as always, YMMV ... :popcorn:

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Or you are just inconsiderate of others.......

I really don't care what you or this guy does. Die in a forest with a wolves eating your flesh as you lie screaming defenseless with you leg pinned by a tree limb, I don't care. You call me weak, but I know better. It isn't about them being able to get ahold of you, its you to them when you twist your ankle in the middle of the forest. I know how to survive, I don't have to go off on a death hike to prove it. Besides, if the S really ever does hit the fan, it will be urban survival that will prove to be the necessity. :fullauto:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or you are just inconsiderate of others.......

I really don't care what you or this guy does. Die in a forest with a wolves eating your flesh as you lie screaming defenseless with you leg pinned by a tree limb, I don't care. You call me weak, but I know better. It isn't about them being able to get ahold of you, its you to them when you twist your ankle in the middle of the forest. I know how to survive, I don't have to go off on a death hike to prove it. Besides, if the S really ever does hit the fan, it will be urban survival that will prove to be the necessity. :fullauto:

It's not being inconsiderate at all. I spend lots of time in the back country of western Alaska. There are ZERO phones. NO internets. I leave a map of the area and go so far as to make a list of longitudes and latitudes. Nothing inconsiderate at all about that. Death hike? Wow!!! So many drama queens on here. Like I said, WEAK.....

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is a hell hole.

I would have taken a PLB, but I'm not him. He probably has a better chance of dying on the drive out than on the hike. He's just going hiking on a known trail. Thousands of people do it every day. He left an itinerary, which is all people did before we had PLB's anyway.

Some of you guys need not worry so much about how other people live their lives. Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean it is wrong. One persons selfishness is another persons freedom, one persons love is another persons control. I could never be in a relatiosnhip with someone who would control me like that, and I would never stop someone from doing what they need to do within reason. Some people can, and that's fine. Good for them. Different strokes as they say.

He's either all talk and will be in serious trouble, he wimped out and didn't go, or he knows his ass from a hole in the ground and will have fun on his trip. It's too early to tell, Nostradamus.

Now, off to the motorcycle threads to tell all those guys they are selfish douchebags for not commuting in Volvos. Totally unnecessary risk to ride a motorcycle, and most of them are married.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yukon- so when you go on your alaskan treks (which sounds fun and challenging to me), do you take several means of secruing food for yourself or do you take a box of ammo and "just make a gun barrel out of a hollowed-out tree"? I think you probably take a gun. one capable of taking down a grizzly. I doubt you would head off to the bush with just a fishing reel and no pole to fish for salmon. While just a reel would work for ice fishing, this guy is not ice fishing.

Yeah, I said death hike, I was being dramatic for effect, sheesh. It is still prudent to take a GPS beacon for your family's sake.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is a hell hole.

That about sums it up. I was just enjoying the debate. Although, he did say several times he planned to go exploring abandoned mines, which is how many a teenaged Coloradan perished.

I have done my fair share of off-trail hiking in the Rockies. My dad and I used to go fishing in some pretty deep areas, the best places to fish can't be reached by car!

Latest posts

Top Bottom