Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good deal.

The only way I'm gonna discount something 50% is if I mark it up to twice what I want for it.

A member made me a very reasonable offer last night on something I'm selling. I agreed to accept his offer even though I thought my price was fair. But he was polite and reasonable. To me, that shows that he knows I put value on my item and he respects that, just like I know his money means something to him.
Good deal!
I come across a lot of ppl that buy things with money they don’t have to only sell it for Penny’s later when they have no money.
Im pretty sure I’m getting this mini 30 for $300.
I think it’s a fair price

SBSATS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how many looked at your location to see where you are from. Haha! I know I did. Buying is a hard habit to break when a gun you’ve lusted for shows up. Even when your eyes have failed and there is no practical reason to even be looking, let alone purchasing. Still don’t stop me😉

But seriously, a lot depends on your niche. Mine is vintage. Mostly Ballards and Levers and I just try to cover my investment as I shape my collection. But in that niche the prices can be steep for a local market. I hate shipping and/or selling on Gunbroker but I have three Ballards that will require a National market to recover my investment. Too few interested parties in a local market.
Mine is mostly hunting guns and equipment. Nothing outlandishly expensive.

SBSATS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably mainly reloading equipment, several different die sets, Mec Jr shotshell presses, hulls, once fired brass, Lyman Lubasizer... things like that. I do have a Rock Island 1911 45 ACP with 5.5 in barrel that I bought recently that's not yet broken in ( only 19 or 20 rounds fired), 3 mags (2 Colt brand and 1 R I that came with it) and a box of bullets that I am going to sell. I am no longer strong enough to work the action to clear a malfunction properly in an emergency situation. I had a Colt years ago that was stolen and always wanted another. When I finally got a chance to get one, I find out I'm too damned old and weak to be safe with it. Old age sucks, lol.
I agree with others here though... it's hard to let go of something that has meant so much to you for so long. Especially the stuff that you sacrificed and worked your butt off to attain.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
circa 1988: was at Gunshow in Houston. Private seller table had a 6" Python $650. Guy was looking at it, said he was wanting a 4", but might be back.

Walked a couple of aisles, see a guy trying to sell a 3" Python to a dealer. Dealer turned him down. He left the table and asked to see it. I made the purchase at $350.

Next aisle, I see first at a table, asking about 4" Python? They didn't have one.
I said, I had one.

He looked at it and says "it is a 3"
I act surprised and ask, "does that make it more or less valuable?"
He says "it is worth $650"

I act disappointed. "Oh, I was hoping for more. Are you a buyer at $650?"

He was.

I have kicked myself many times over selling it but, at that time, $300 profit in less than 10 minutes was more important.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I will take payments. Easy terms.
100% cash down and you get title, plus keys.

Dad had a '67 Impala he was selling, 1979. A couple of guys come look. Ask about price and Dad tells them $800.
They asked if he would sell just the motor? (HO 327)
He says yes and they get excited. He tells them, $1200. They complained and he says too bad.
They argue between themselves about whether or not to buy and taking just motor or whole car.
They finally bought the car.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
circa 1988: was at Gunshow in Houston. Private seller table had a 6" Python $650. Guy was looking at it, said he was wanting a 4", but might be back.

Walked a couple of aisles, see a guy trying to sell a 3" Python to a dealer. Dealer turned him down. He left the table and asked to see it. I made the purchase at $350.

Next aisle, I see first at a table, asking about 4" Python? They didn't have one.
I said, I had one.

He looked at it and says "it is a 3"
I act surprised and ask, "does that make it more or less valuable?"
He says "it is worth $650"

I act disappointed. "Oh, I was hoping for more. Are you a buyer at $650?"

He was.

I have kicked myself many times over selling it but, at that time, $300 profit in less than 10 minutes was more important.

Last time Lurker and I went to Wannemacher, he took a $200 rifle. He flipped that rifle 4 or 5 times and walked out with a nice way more expensive rifle for his new at that time grandson and some cash! I don’t remember all he swapped, but it was 4 or 5 swaps as we walked through it!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time Lurker and I went to Wannemacher, he took a $200 rifle. He flipped that rifle 4 or 5 times and walked out with a nice way more expensive rifle for his new at that time grandson and some cash! I don’t remember all he swapped, but it was 4 or 5 swaps as we walked through it!

That was the first gun show I took son (12) with me.
As we were leaving, Wif said, "don't be buying anything."
As soon as we walked in the house, she asked, "what did you buy?"
Son hollers out, "he already sold it."

Every gun show has deals. But, you have to look.

Last Lawton show, son took 3, sold all 3, 3 deals at asking price, in 10 minutes.

Bought 1 (he didn't want, but was a great buy) and then traded 5 minutes later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom