NRA/ORA stand on open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Name any issue at the US Federal level that does not affect you in Oklahoma.
That's the primary mission of the NRA, not coming to a gun-aware, gun-friendly state like Oklahoma to hold our hand on local issues we should be able to handle ourselves.

Compared to the effort now going on to get the 2A fully incorporated like the other US Constitutional Amendments, our Governor's liberal vetoing hissy fit is way down the list.

We have a question to ask our next candidates for governor: "Will you sign Open Carry?"

I beg to differ. I (and many others) have paid a great deal of money to the NRA to be ignored on any 2A issue in this state.
This nation is made up of states. I find it appalling that the NRA lobbyist has made NO showing in this state for a considerable number of years.
As far as open carry, it brings to the forefront in the public eye that not everyone who carries a handgun is a bad guy.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I (and many others) have paid a great deal of money to the NRA to be ignored on any 2A issue in this state.
This nation is made up of states. I find it appalling that the NRA lobbyist has made NO showing in this state for a considerable number of years.
As far as open carry, it brings to the forefront in the public eye that not everyone who carries a handgun is a bad guy.

What he said

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been several weeks now since I have e-mailed and called the NRA & ORA (president G. Scott) asking them to explain why they were a no show on HB3354.

I don't want to shock anyone...but, I've not yet received a reply or call back.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have not received a reply and I asked weeks ago. But I did get a request from them in the mail today for money to help them defend the 'Castle Doctrine' in other states.
Let's see, should I send a hefty donation or not?

Not!

chevy4wd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will return each prepaid envelope the NRA sends me with a printout that states the following:

I take a neutral stance on the NRA. I will neither support nor oppose them just like they did on HB3354. If they are neutral on what matters to Okies just because they have nothing to gain then their true nature has been exposed. I would rather have an honest enemy than friends like this!

I have a CCW permit and would not carry in the open. Still; I would celebrate the rights of others to do so and I will always support anything that empowers the people. This would have empowered the people with absolutely no cost to anyone else in terms of personal liberty or even funding.

Good Idea.

Here is my response I am enclosing in the donation request i received last week:

I am currently taking a neutral stance on the NRA. I will neither support nor oppose the NRA just like they did on Oklahoma House Bill 3354. This bill would have allowed law abiding citizens who already have obtained a conceal carry permit the option to openly carry their firearms in this great state. If the NRA remains neutral on 2nd Amendment issues just because they have nothing to gain or just neutral on Oklahoma issues, then I too will remain neutral on the NRA.
I listened as several senate and house representatives asked why they should vote for this bill if the NRA is not for this bill. Then I watched as Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry touted his ‘A’ Rating from the NRA as he vetoed the bill which had passed both the House and Senate.
Next year similar bills will be brought up again. If the NRA chooses to take a stance, I will reevaluate my membership and donating position at that time.
Sincerely,

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the atricle quoting Stanford law professor Robert Weisberg: "He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons."

I believe this to be a very valid concern.

I don't know that it would do anything in terms of state-wide legislative concerns, I believe it would result in more businesses posting their premises as no-gun zones.

Michael Brown

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the atricle quoting Stanford law professor Robert Weisberg: "He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons."

I believe this to be a very valid concern.

I don't know that it would do anything in terms of state-wide legislative concerns, I believe it would result in more businesses posting their premises as no-gun zones.

Michael Brown

I agree. Been thinking about this, and as much as I'd like to see open carry in Oklahoma, I don't want us to cut off our nose to spite our face on this issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom