NRA/ORA stand on open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons.

Would you elaborate on how oc could endanger cc laws here in OK?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons.

Permissiveness? Funny word for an organization that is supposedly pro-freedom to use.

That said OC doesn't seem to have endangered CCW laws in other states that have it. In fact in AZ - a state where OC is practiced relatively commonly, the legislature tried to pass a no license CCW law like AK and VT have. I think it passed. not sure.

In any event that argument is just the NRA's version of blood will run in the streets if OC becomes law.

They get my money so I can be a member of TCGC. If not for TCGC the NRA'd get nothin' from me. It'd all go to SAF, JPFO and who knows I might even send the drama queens at GOA a few bucks a year.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the atricle quoting Stanford law professor Robert Weisberg: "He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons."

I believe this to be a very valid concern.

I don't know that it would do anything in terms of state-wide legislative concerns, I believe it would result in more businesses posting their premises as no-gun zones.

Michael Brown

I'm neutral on the subject of open carry.
However, this is exactly what would happen. Most businesses would enforce a heavy no weapons policy and if they didn't before, they would after this.

I actually deal with this myself as part owner and one of the founders of the okcCoCo. I am a CCL holder and one of the other founders is from Arizona, who is used to open carry. With that said, the land/building owners have enforced a no weapons policy to their tenants in the contracts. As a result, the okcCoCo is a no firearms / CCL business.

I think you will see more and more of this happen as a result of the passing of open carry legislation and may even see land / business owners adding no firearms clauses into their contracts for tenents.

Wind

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
People are over reacting to the open carry. It's not the most evil thing in the world.
What difference does it make as far as having to use a handgun in legal self defense if it is carried in the open or concealed?
All types of conjecture can be made concerning what would happen if open carry was passed.
When the SDA passed in the mid 90s, many people swore up and down there would be mass killings in the street from those who carried concealed.
Well, it didn't happen.
And open carry wouldn't cause more murder or chaos. It would move the general public in the direction of acceptance that those who carry handguns are decent and honest citizens 99.999% of the time.
And that folks, is a good thing for those who strongly believe in the 2A!

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
However, this is exactly what would happen. Most businesses would enforce a heavy no weapons policy and if they didn't before, they would after this.

I actually deal with this myself as part owner and one of the founders of the okcCoCo. I am a CCL holder and one of the other founders is from Arizona, who is used to open carry. With that said, the land/building owners have enforced a no weapons policy to their tenants in the contracts. As a result, the okcCoCo is a no firearms / CCL business.

I think you will see more and more of this happen as a result of the passing of open carry legislation and may even see land / business owners adding no firearms clauses into their contracts for tenents.

I would like someone who has lived in an OC State to please let us know how many business' restrict OC/CC weapons in their stores...

I am really getting tired of the BS that seems to surround this issue...

If a business decides they want to restrict weapons then they will also restrict their revenue.. And as the old saying goes "money speaks louder than words"...

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Then they would be cutting off income for OC and CC customers, prob a bad idea but most would figure it out fairly quickly. If they really have a problem with OC and not CC just post no OC. A storm in a tea cup.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you elaborate on how oc could endanger cc laws here in OK?

I cannot elaborate on a statement that is not mine. If you look at my post it is the statement of a Stanford law professor.

As I said in my post, I do not believe open carry will affect concealed carry laws in Oklahoma; I believe it will cause businesses to start posting no firearm signs on their property.

Michael Brown

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like someone who has lived in an OC State to please let us know how many business' restrict OC/CC weapons in their stores...

I am really getting tired of the BS that seems to surround this issue...

If a business decides they want to restrict weapons then they will also restrict their revenue.. And as the old saying goes "money speaks louder than words"...

That's not always true. Some businesses have little to no OC/CC customers and the number who don't OC/CC outweigh those who do. In my case, we have a no firearms sign due to the lease we have with the property owners.

We've only received one complaint so far for the no firearms sign in the year or so that we've been in business and that was someone who wasn't even a member or an office holder. It wasn't even a formal complaint, someone just passively mentioned it to me.

We deal with technology professionals, entrepreneurs, designers, and programmers. Typically these people are "centrist" in their views with a slight lean to the left or right. Most will have little to no interest in firearms and some are outright against it. These aren't liberal hipsters, but business professionals and technology professionals.

I've tried to remedy this by organizing events where I invite these professional out for some fun out in the range with other "technology professionals and entrepreneurs" to show them that firearms aren't something that only "wanna be cowboys, tea party members, and neo conservatives" partake in, because honestly that's what they think of when they think of firearms and it's that image that keeps them away from firearms.

We had our first one at H&H and it was a success and have received numerals emails about organizing a 2nd one, which I will soon. Anyways, I'm getting off topic...

For most businesses, I would even argue that the "loss" of OC/CC business and customers would be so little that it's negligable and not even worth worrying about. If anything, some businesses would run a greater risk of losing business from non OC/CC customers due to complaints of people open carrying in the business.

Ridgerunner

Marksman
Reaction score
Gradually, the facts about the NRA emerge among those that actually support the Second Amendment.
Naturally, those that support gun control feel differently....and continue their infatuation with that organization.

Wind

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I cannot elaborate on a statement that is not mine. If you look at my post it is the statement of a Stanford law professor.

As I said in my post, I do not believe open carry will affect concealed carry laws in Oklahoma; I believe it will cause businesses to start posting no firearm signs on their property.

Michael Brown

And they could very well lose lots of business if the gun owners in this state were on the same page about open carry.
Something to consider - I'm sure lots of those places that don't want concealed carry on their premises get it anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom