Oklahoma Senate panel approves open-carry bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Right2Carry

Any news on the status of this bill is. I have not seen or heard anything on the news outlets or other web sites.

If it gets to the Governor and is signed any idea of the effective date?

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been a floor amendment filed for HB2522 by Rep McCullough. This amendment would require an open carried firearm to be carried in a belt holster "with a retention mechanism that is integral to the holster", and it also removes the language that would allow you to carry in a "scabbard or case" on your person.

What this means: You would not be able to open carry with a holster that uses friction as it's only means of retention.

I would encourage you to contact your representatives and ask them to vote "No" on the McCullough amendment to HB2522.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rep Bennett filed a floor amendment that would allow "Any person who is on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty or is honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserve duty shall not be required to pay the processing fee when making application for a handgun license”

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rep Reynolds filed a floor amendment that would allow a person to carry a loaded firearm, without a permit, "When the person has a reasonable fear of bodily harm"

I dont think this sounds good at all!

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rep Steve Martin has a floor amendment that would remove CC notification on first contact with an officer and make it, "Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be made at the first opportunity." So it is still the individuals responsibility to notify, but if the officer has told them to be quiet, they don't have to worry about trying to tell them in violation of a lawful order.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Floor Amendment 5 by Murphey - would allow a shoulder holster as well as a belt holster.

Floor Amendment 6 by Cockroft - would have your initial license sent to the address on the application instead of the county sheriff for you to pick up.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been a floor amendment filed for HB2522 by Rep McCullough. This amendment would require an open carried firearm to be carried in a belt holster "with a retention mechanism that is integral to the holster", and it also removes the language that would allow you to carry in a "scabbard or case" on your person.

What this means: You would not be able to open carry with a holster that uses friction as it's only means of retention.

I would encourage you to contact your representatives and ask them to vote "No" on the McCullough amendment to HB2522.
thanks for the heads-up. i sent the following letter.
________
Dear Rep.XXXX,
I believe this amendment infringes on our rights to keep and bear arms by creating an unnecessary "nanny" clause. As you know, there is no requirement for how people should carry CONCEALED in their pockets or holsters, and there don't seem to have been any problems over the last many years that concealed carry has been in effect in Oklahoma. I fail to see why open carry should have this nanny clause that signifies that somehow Oklahoma residents are incapable of responsibly carrying openly.
Please vote AGAINST this amendment.
sincerely
YYYY
_________
I would urge everyone to follow up with their reps. Otherwise I am pretty sure concealed carry holster restrictions will be next. Open carry will become an opportunity for anti 2Aers to further restrict our rights when we conceal carry!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom