What is your favorite "strange" snack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in grade school, I knew it was end of the month and money was tight when breakfast before school was a bowl of crumbled Saltines and milk.
Get to school and have a sack lunch with a Miracle Whip and mustard sammich.

Haven't had either in over 50 years.

My Grandmother always had a bowl of pinto beans on the table. I would smash the beans, like refried beans, stir in some ketchup and spread it on a baloney sammich with Miracle Whip or 1000 Island dressing.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For cornbread, the old folks would crumble it up and pour buttermilk on it (too sour for me).
I heard some old timers say if there was any leftover cornbread, they would pour a bit of molasses or Karo syrup over it for dessert.
My mom said she had a couple of elderly aunts who would use the leftover biscuits to sop up sorghum molasses, and they'd keep adding biscuits or molasses trying to get them to come out even, at least until they ran out of biscuits.

My grandpa had dairy cattle until he was in his eighties, so he could've been using any milk product 'til then, but what I remember him using was plain old Vitamin D whole milk. Grandma drank buttermilk, and she tried to get me to like it; I did try it, but I didn't care for it, though far too much time has passed for me to tell what I didn't like about it. Maybe I'll pick some up and see if my tastes have changed in that regard. (Of course, the only milk product I drink with any regularity these days is heavy cream in my coffee.)

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Puke!!
I spent a year in Korea. Half the people on the flight puked when they opened the plane’s doors at Kimpo airport because the kimchi stench was so horrible.
Granted Cole slaw is considered freak kimchi, but the fermented variety eaten there is horrible.
So you don't want me to save you any

Attachments

• 20240707_010438.jpg
    20240707_010438.jpg
    2.5 MB

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few of my favorites:

Siegi's jalapeno and cheddar venison summer sausage. Any kind of cracker will do, and I usually add mustard. If I've got the fixings available, I'll usually turn that into a charcuterie board with pickles/olives/cheeses...whatever. I prolly eat 30-40 lbs of this stuff a year.

Chunky blue cheese (not dressing) and chicken flavored crackers with a side of wing sauce.

Veg burritos= Lettuce, tomato, etc, with mayo or ranch.

Pizza tacos = Totino's pizza with extra cheese/toppings. Microwave for 3-4 min, then fold it over and butter crisp in the frying pan with tons of dried dill. (Not dill seeds)

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to like smoked eels with beer. They hung behind the bar looking like black belts at many of the dockside taverns near the bays on Long Island, NY. There’s nothing better except, maybe fresh escargot prepared in real butter and garlic by an excellent French Chef…..

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to like smoked eels with beer. They hung behind the bar looking like black belts at many of the dockside taverns near the bays on Long Island, NY. There’s nothing better except, maybe fresh escargot prepared in real butter and garlic by an excellent French Chef…..
I first read this as smoked eels with BEAR, and I was thinking. Dang, this dude's a real bad ass! You lost me at snails though. Saute'd snot on a cracker...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few of my favorites:

Siegi's jalapeno and cheddar venison summer sausage. Any kind of cracker will do, and I usually add mustard. If I've got the fixings available, I'll usually turn that into a charcuterie board with pickles/olives/cheeses...whatever. I prolly eat 30-40 lbs of this stuff a year.

Chunky blue cheese (not dressing) and chicken flavored crackers with a side of wing sauce.

Veg burritos= Lettuce, tomato, etc, with mayo or ranch.

Pizza tacos = Totino's pizza with extra cheese/toppings. Microwave for 3-4 min, then fold it over and butter crisp in the frying pan with tons of dried dill. (Not dill seeds)
Siegi’s is awesome- but try making your own, it’s even better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom