Got detained by stillwater pd today for brandishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ugoleftillgorite

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, nothing happened. In both cases, when they saw I had my CC, it became a non-issue. Someone accidentally sneaking a peek of a concealed weapon is by no means brandishing it, and (most) LEOs should be able to recognize whether you were attempting to show it off or if it was an innocent accident. Motorcycles are particularly hard because even with a motorcycle jacket, it is very easy for it to become exposed at any speed above 40mph. I usually pocket carry my LCP on my bike now.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read through this post and am beside myself. To me there seems to be a lot of Monday morning quarter backing. Look at it from an LEO's stand point.

He sees a gun on a person who is near a school. How many school shootings have occurred in recent history.
Extremely few. So very, very rare that when it happens, it practically makes international news.

How many of those shooters were considered dangerous at the time?
All of them?

Second, he saw a violation of the law. IF that violation of the law would have violated any body who posted on here, this post would have started, The Stillwater Police did not protect me like they should.
Uh... you read that part about where they knew before they pulled him over that he had a permit?

So enforcement of laws is only good when done on other people BUT me.
It's only good when done intelligently. This wasn't really an example of intelligently enforcing the law.

Third, there was a DEADLY weapon involved. Action beats reaction, so I am sure he wanted to make sure he went home to his family tonight in the event you weren't the nice guy you are.
So his line of thinking was what? Oh, this guy with a permit to carry could be a crazy serial killer just waiting to shoot up the school! I can tell because he's carrying a gun! And I know he's carrying one because the state said it's okay for him to!

Then why do we issue permits to carry? A little common sense would've beaten out that kind of thinking.

As for the OP, sorry man. You really should have known the laws about knives, though. I hope everyone else takes note of that. To be safe, I wouldn't carry anything with an assist open, even partial. It just doesn't make sense to take the risk.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nothing to say about your post ... just wanted to mention I LUV your screen name ...:rollingla

Sorry for the interruption ... now back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Concealed means concealed from view, jacket or shirt coming up mean pistol is no longer concealed

This would be the bottom line, boys and girls ...

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this was handled very poorly. I would be pissed. If they knew you had a ccw and you were just riding down the road it sounds like illegal search and seizure and brutality. I would be really offended. It seems they should have never have found your knife. It was unintentional display you weren't showing to intimidate some one like don't mess with me. buy pulling up your shirt or unholstering it. They should be getting classes for how to treat a citizen before they start getting sued and god knows they are already in need of more money to keep the creeps of the streets, kind of counterproductive if you ask me. Have a paranoid cop get your pd sued and need to pay for the lawsuit and defense of the cop. I hope all the law I meet sees I'm no threat to them, but if people keep getting treated like this they will be a threat to us and thats no good.

I think everyone should put their self in the police officers shoes, he didn't know if the OP was a drug dealing wife beating murder, or a ccw holder. License plates don't tell that no connection. He was simply protecting his self.

My story, I'm 16 or 17, I get pulled over in tulsa for having neon lights :nono1: on my car (I know, looking back I wish I never would have wasted the money on them :hithead:) So while driving though Bixby I see two officers sitting in patrol cars in a parking lot, so I pulled in and I was going to ask what Bixby's city ordinances were pertaining to the situation. I park my car I guess about 30-40 feet away and get out to walk up to the car, one officer pulls away and circles around to watch me. Now I don't know if any of you have experienced when your pants start to fall down from them stretching from wearing all day, and I forgot to wear a belt. So my pants start to fall down about 15 feet away so I put both hands at my side to pull them up then put my hands back in front of me in plain sight as I had been. When I get up to the car I hear SHOW ME YOUR HANDS, and I know down to see the officer sitting in his car with his gun pointed at my chest, finger on the trigger :yikes2:, I threw my hands up and stepped back from the car.

Now after that he answered my question and everything was cool, but I was pissed. I go home to tell my dad thinking he would be pissed too, but to my amazement he wasn't. He sided with the cop that just pulled a gun on me, he told me he had a family to go home too, and I was a young kid walking up to his car at night with baggy pants and he had no idea what my intentions were. I then realized he was right.

And looking back, I would have done the same thing

Hoorayebay

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I have a hard time feeling sorry for you. You tried to outsmart your common sense and lost. Brandishing is a no no and your license is toast. Sorry to be an ass about it, but you screwed yourself.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone should put their self in the police officers shoes, he didn't know if the OP was a drug dealing wife beating murder, or a ccw holder. License plates don't tell that no connection. He was simply protecting his self.

What the...? How do people keep missing this?

Yes, he did. The cop said he ran his plate and info and knew he was a permit holder before he pulled the guy over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom