Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not personally taken part in the organization, but I have known others who participated in Alcoholics Anonymous and it did wonders for them. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what? I have one more thing to say. When I was 18 I bought alcohol illegally. Got drunk and broke my neck diving into the Illinois River. It is a miracle that I did not drown that very day or die in ICU in the weeks that followed. For the past 36 years, I have been paralyzed from my nipples down, which means I need help doing almost everything. Trust me, friends, you don't want to learn my lesson. I am not implying anyone is destined to follow my path, but reckless behavior will steer you towards a path with unintended consequences.

Drinking to excess = BAD THINGS.

Good luck to us all!

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day. After reading through the replies of encouragement and support, I really didn’t see the Supreme Help listed. God. I know there are numerous believers on here. I am not promoting religion, just offering a solution for a very serious, can be, life threatening problem. My God is most powerful and loving. When I have troubles and problems I take them to God. To the OP Mr. Roberts, I will pray for you for strength and support. If you like please PM me and we can text or talk. I believe we have chatted but it has been quite a while ago. God Bless you and the others offering support and encouragement in achieving the goal of overcoming.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Widowmaker heart attack made me curb my drinking habits.....I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone else though. My point is drinking yourself into oblivion every night for years and years isn't good on your body. My longtime friends understand. Your real friends will too.

Most don't come back from that. You got a second chance for sure.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve post a few things here and there on OSA about my drinking but it finally came to a head last night. I won’t go into all the details but it’s best to just stop drinking. I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.

Started to get bad last year and quit for awhile then tried to moderate my intake. Works for the most part but I’m just to the point now where I’ve got to hang it up. Doesn’t matter how good I can do most of the time if I still F up on occasion. Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

I don’t think it will be a big deal to cut it out day to day but it’s hard in social settings. Any advice or anything of that nature would be much appreciated!

I wish you the best of luck and succeed to beat it!

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve post a few things here and there on OSA about my drinking but it finally came to a head last night. I won’t go into all the details but it’s best to just stop drinking. I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.

Started to get bad last year and quit for awhile then tried to moderate my intake. Works for the most part but I’m just to the point now where I’ve got to hang it up. Doesn’t matter how good I can do most of the time if I still F up on occasion. Enjoying an ice cold beer just isn’t worth the potential to lose my family.

I don’t think it will be a big deal to cut it out day to day but it’s hard in social settings. Any advice or anything of that nature would be much appreciated!
You’re family should be enough motivation, I sincerely hope you get under control.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frankly the idea that “If you loved your family enough you’d quit” is a bunch of hooey and has nothing to do with it. This idea is spoken by someone that lacks understanding and hasn’t been there. Having never felt the feeling like you’re going to die if you don’t have a drink and at the same time feeling like if you have another drink you’re going to die it’s easy to judge. On my own I could not quit but with God’s love all things are possible. Pray like you’ve never prayed and reach around with both hands, grab ahold of butt cheeks and drag your sorry arse to an AA meeting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom