Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't understand people that start a post with "I haven't read the thread but..." Really?

Posts that start with this get an automatic ignore from me. If you don't have the time to read the thread and post relevant information, just don't post at all.

Sorry Piston, not trying to Hijack your thread. There's been some really great points made in this thread. To me, it's a miracle it didn't immediately descent into the digital equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" - miracle.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just wondering, How many rifles do you build a year, I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like a lot.

Haha. Yeah, I know. Let's see... bought my first one in 2011, had someone here build it for me. It had a problem a couple times from an incorrectly-installed hammer spring, let the trigger pin walk out. While having someone show me how to fix that issue, I realized it wasn't so bad. I picked up I think 5 Spikes lowers, maybe from you, Mark? I sat on 'em through most of 2012, then in '13 decided to start building. Picked up parts as I found them cheaply, since the craze was on in full force... managed to build 5 or 6 more rifles in '13, a couple for friends. Then I started collecting lowers, since they got so cheap. Bought my 6.8 fully assembled, but it'll get torn down soon. Now, in '14, I'm working on building the 11 lower receivers I picked up into complete rifles. One is for a friend, the other 10 are just for me. :D

I want an arsenal for when the zombies come... or whomever. ;)

I considered getting my FFL and building to sell... not to make money, but just because it would let me buy more and build. I'm addicted. I absolutely LOVE building a rifle for someone else as much as myself. To see that look in their eye when you hand it to them? Damn... friend of mine's 13 y/o son I built one for, I think he was on that thing like a Playboy magazine. Now I'm building her one. lol I've put the FFL idea to the side for now, just because I have too many other things going on with changing jobs and such.

He has his own keys to FBT....lol

God, don't I wish! I'd LIVE in that store and give my house up! ;)

It was a great fluff/plug for his fav gun store.

Don't we all... lol. Some great vendors we've got on here.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe in the "Frankengun" (is inferior) idea.
When I built my SBR, I put everything on it that I wanted. If something cost more than I had, I saved up and got it when I had enough. It is the rifle I wanted. Even though 90% was made by Noveske, they couldn't offer everything I wanted in a single package or split it up in convenient payments. Building your own gives you unlimited options. Furthermore, building an AR is a simple process that can be done with equal craftsmanship as a company's armorer.

After building my dream gun, I wanted a second in .556. This time however, I used much different parts, many are PSA. Their CHF barrels are made by FN as with many of their parts. I researched enough to know that while it may have one company's stamp on it, it probably was manufactured by another that does the same for others.

PSA has great components (With exception to their PTAC line) I trust their parts. The one rifle I grab to defend my home isn't the Noveske in the safe. It's a PSA "Frankengun" that I built and trust. I wouldn't hesitate to run it beside a DD or any other Mil-spec company that has a huge advertising budget.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe in the "Frankengun" idea.

I assume from reading the rest of your post that you mean you don't subscribe to the philosophy that Frankenguns are sub-par? The way I initially read that statement was that you thought a rifle should be all one manufacturer. But it sounds like you are equally happy with your pieced-together gun, which I think most (not all) of us here would echo.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't understand people that start a post with "I haven't read the thread but..." Really?

Posts that start with this get an automatic ignore from me. If you don't have the time to read the thread and post relevant information, just don't post at all.

Sorry Piston, not trying to Hijack your thread. There's been some really great points made in this thread. To me, it's a miracle it didn't immediately descent into the digital equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" - miracle.

No worries, to post and not read anything is stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom