Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those guys don't really bother me. It's the guys that buy the bushmaster and claim it to be no different than BCM and you are just paying for a roll mark that I don't understand.

Finally, it only took 6 pages. Other than the standard BCG from BCM, how can you justify spending $300+ more on rifle other than the BCM roll mark?

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally, it only took 6 pages. Other than the standard BCG from BCM, how can you justify spending $300+ more on rifle other than the BCM roll mark?

I could give the same answer that others are using for the cheap guns, I bought a KAC because I wanted it and I can, I decided not to be a cheap ass. Does that make it wrong?

Understand that this was a big purchase for me, I'm not made of money. I'm just a regular guy who works for the man. In fact, I even drive a Kia, not the Mercedes. I wanted to buy what I felt like was one of the top AR's, so I had the money and did.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. lets look at it from that perspective. I can afford a $1,000 rifle. No problem. Why have I not bought a thousand dollar rifle? Simple: the delta between what you get for $700 vs. what you get for $1,000 is too small to justify the added expense.

We can even assume that a $1,000 rifle is better than a $700 rifle. Is it 30% better? as in, fires 30% more accurately, weighs 30% less, is 30% easier to load?

The answer is, for 99% of the people out there, no.

This is a good answer, thank you.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm talking to the guys/gals that can afford $1000 plus rifles that decide to do budget builds

Maybe the reason they can afford to buy a $1000+ rifle is because they do budget builds. I'm guessing that if you're building rifles, then you've got some sort of affinity for this gun hobby thing. If that's the case then why blow your wad on a single item. I'd bet that the majority here own more than one firearm.....and probably plan to own more in the future. I, for one, like having the ability to jump on something that catches my eye rather than resaving my pennies and waiting because I emptied my pockets in one shot.

That said.....my entry level DPMS Oracle turned into a 1200$ project after upgrades and addons. It does what I need it to.

My current 6.8 build will take me beyond that number and I can honestly say that I was trying to keep costs down.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the reason they can afford to buy a $1000+ rifle is because they do budget builds. I'm guessing that if you're building rifles, then you've got some sort of affinity for this gun hobby thing. If that's the case then why blow your wad on a single item. I'd bet that the majority here own more than one firearm.....and probably plan to own more in the future. I, for one, like having the ability to jump on something that catches my eye rather than resaving my pennies and waiting because I emptied my pockets in one shot.

That said.....my entry level DPMS Oracle turned into a 1200$ project after upgrades and addons. It does what I need it to.

My current 6.8 build will take me beyond that number and I can honestly say that I was trying to keep costs down.

Hijack

My coworker traded a rusted 270 hunting rifle for a 6.8 over the weekend. It has a 16 inch bull barrel on it, seems like a nice rifle, but the damn thing weighs a ton! Guy traded him straight across.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither side is going to change their minds, but thanks for the good conversations and you all made some very good points. I guess we should just all be glad that it's back to semi normal and we can discuss what the best build/buy is.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?146873-First-Look-at-BCM-s-NEW-M4-Upper-Receiver

The good folks at BCM were kind enough to send me a sample of their new BCM M4 Upper Receiver. "Another boring M4 Upper Receiver you say?" Well, not quite. This one has some advantages over all other ones.

Back story, BCM has been buying upper receivers out in the OEM market place for some time. They have discovered a problem with this. First is the fact that AR parts manufacturers will ship you whatever they feel like (meaning don't care if the part is in spec or not). BCM has had to reject upwards of 50% of the upper receivers they get in because they did not meet their specs and standards! Things like the Picatinny rail slots are off or not square and true or the inside dims are not right and your BCG is too loose or too tight, etc, etc..

Having had enough of this, BCM is having a machine shop make these uppers to their drawings. Lots of QC procedures are in place to ensure everything is correct (pics on this to come). There was one small change made from the TDP on these receivers. They made the Inside Diameter for barrel extension slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel. By doing this, you will improve the accuracy of your AR.

Features:

• Precision machined to correct Mil-Specs from 7075 T6 Forgings
• Fully Assembled with forward assist, and ejection port cover
• Mil-Std 1913 Rail for mounting optics and accessories
• Machined for use with barrels that use an M4 barrel extension
• Laser etched T-markings for addressing the remounting of optics
• Includes Mil-Spec Forward Assist with heat treated tool steel pawl, with press fit and pinned cap
• Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class2
• Made in the U.S.A.

This receiver will not include the BCM logo etched on the receiver. It is marked “BCM4” over the gas tube hole. MAP is $119.

Yes, there is a difference outside of just a roll mark. If it does not matter to you then more power to ya.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This discussion could also be about diamonds and cubit zirconium's!

The main thing is everyone is entitled to buy, build, trade for what they want...unless you live in Connecticut.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did my rifles cost? Heck, let's see...

I've got a RRA carbine, has a Vortex Sparc on it and a rifle-length YHM rail, a foregrip... Initially, I think I had about $850 in it a couple years ago. So now, figure something like $1100-1200.

Got a trio of Spikes carbines in pink, FDE and OD. The former two have Troy Alpha rails, Magpul BUIS, the OD I bought a Todd Jarrett rail for and FARGING LOST IT! UGH! And one has a Bushnell-branded Eotech, another couple hundred. MOE stuff on all of 'em. So, those... mmm... some of the parts were during the craze, prolly around $1200 in each of them total - averaged.

My varmint rifle is a Spike's with a Samson rail and a 24" Wilson bull barrel and a Vortex Crossfire II, NiB BCG, nicer stock and such. Maybe $1300-1400?

My 6.8 is an all Rock River I purchased complete for a good deal. Shipping, transfer fees AND 7 boxes of ammo - well under a grand. So that one is my "budget build" lol. ;)

I wouldn't sell a single one for even what I have in them... prolly take another crazy craze to get me to sell, and if I did, I'd sell the cheapies I'm building now, not the ones above that I love.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom