Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because a lot of times, you're just paying more for a name.

Welcome back, trouble maker.

So you don't feel using noveske, bcm, larue parts are better than say PSA or spikes? So are all the people buying bigger name brands wasting money?

Well, I've built a number of lower receivers, including two more this weekend. They have used a variety of lowers from several different manufacturers - Rock River, Mag Tagtical, Spikes, Rise and Anderson. Uppers I have used from Rock River, Anderson and Aero Precision, as well as some unbranded "keyhole" and "broken A" uppers. Personally, I haven't found problems with fit or finish on any of them. Not a single one of my rifles has ever had any "slop".

The only complaint I have had at all that was anything other than cosmetic was the Mag Tactical lower. When the upper was released from the takedown pin, and rotated forward on the pivot pin, the bottom edge of the Troy Alpha rail would gouge the front end of the pivot pin housings on the lower. This wasn't bad execution, just a design that allowed those little nubs to stick out a little too far on the bottom. Even that was cosmetic... doesn't affect functionality or anything at all. What are those things called, anyways? lol

Are you paying only for a name? Well... if it all fits together and works just fine and locks up tight... then the only thing left to pay for, that I can think of, is name, aesthetics and possibly additional features. I don't particularly have a problem paying for any of these, if that is what you want. If your Mega Arms lower has the billet look, the textured and flared magwell you like and a pretty rollmark and you're willing to pay for those things - then more power to you. Some things I will pay more for... some I won't. But don't try to tell me it shoots better than the RRA or Spikes ones I have hundreds or thousands of rounds through just because of the lower receiver - barrels and such, we can talk about. But not the lower. The upper... mmm... I have yet to be convinced, certainly never had it proven.

To each his own.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the difference then from buying a Taurus or hipoint vs a sig or HK? People for the most part won't trust the lower end pistols or shotguns but will trust a lower end AR? I guess it's just personal preference. $600-700 is still a lot of money and I would rather save and bump that up to the $900-1200 range and get a better rifle.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What is the difference then from buying a Taurus or hipoint vs a sig or HK? People for the most part won't trust the lower end pistols or shotguns but will trust a lower end AR? I guess it's just personal preference. $600-700 is still a lot of money and I would rather save and bump that up to the $900-1200 range and get a better rifle.

What is your determination that a $900-1200 rifle is better than a $600-700 rifle? So you put $200 free floating hand guards in instead of $40 stock ones. You have a barrel treated with unobtainium that will last for 12 millions rounds instead of a chrome lines barrel that'll last "only" 20k rounds and the $5 hand grip is not good enuff, so to make the rifle "better" it has to have a $30 Hogue? If it goes bang when the actuation lever is pulled, the mag stays in the rifle when fired and the projectile hits the target, then you have a good rifle. The thing the bullet impacts doesn't give a darn what the gun cost that made it go splat.

AR's, 1911's, any rifle, shotgun or pistol for that matter have different levels of "Nice". It's so Joe can outclass Bill more times than not. Pick up a Delton AR, shoot it in your normal way and tell me what it won't do for you. Till then I just have the feeling you're just trolling on this question after reading the Tarus-HiPoint-Sig statement.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is your determination that a $900-1200 rifle is better than a $600-700 rifle? So you put $200 free floating hand guards in instead of $40 stock ones. You have a barrel treated with unobtainium that will last for 12 millions rounds instead of a chrome lines barrel that'll last "only" 20k rounds and the $5 hand grip is not good enuff, so to make the rifle "better" it has to have a $30 Hogue? If it goes bang when the actuation lever is pulled, the mag stays in the rifle when fired and the projectile hits the target, then you have a good rifle. The thing the bullet impacts doesn't give a darn what the gun cost that made it go splat.

AR's, 1911's, any rifle, shotgun or pistol for that matter have different levels of "Nice". It's so Joe can outclass Bill more times than not. Pick up a Delton AR, shoot it in your normal way and tell me what it won't do for you. Till then I just have the feeling you're just trolling on this question after reading the Tarus-HiPoint-Sig statement.

No trolling. It's a legitimate question. The sig-hipoint comment was just an example. Most people who shoot much know there is a difference.

I do think there is a difference between the price points when it comes to quality.

Again, nothing wrong with a budget build, it just wanted some input from the guys that are doing them on why they decided to go that way. Some of them have 5-6 budget builds and could have done 3-4 more expensive builds. Just getting input.

I'm planning another AR project and am looking at different options. My current rifle a more expensive complete factory rifle. I'm looking at doing a more budget minded build it myself or an SBR that will have higher end parts on it.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My apologies then sir. The main difference between a "cheap" $500-700 AR and a $125 HiPoint is the term Mil Spec. If it isn't mil spec, then yeah you could be getting something substandard that you may need to watch out for.

novtec1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thought on this is... you can build the most expensive rife ever... if the shooter isn't "up to par" its just an expensive bullet thrower. Name dont mean a lot to me.. if it works.. it works

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An ar is pretty much a ar, your mostly paying for better furniture.

It really helps your accuracy having $200 handgaurds say like over to $10 ones

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AR's are boy barbies. It can look awesome and all, but anything over and above a standard M4 really is just jewelry unless you are a high-end competitor or black-ops kinda operator doing your operatin'

Latest posts

Top Bottom