Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. I'm not talking about skill. I'm wanting to know why some feel the need to build cheap when they can afford better.

Or because we may have one or two "nice" ones, and are busy building an arsenal to outfit our friends. :)

When it comes to supplying arms and ammo for others, I find that function and reliability are most important. Other "cool" factors, not so much. When you're building a dozen rifles like I am, you don't feel the need to buy top-end stuff. It's just unnecessary.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss bought the LWRC REPR and the thing failed to cycle a round.

LWRC does not have the greatest reputation anyways. This is one brand I would consider being over priced for what they are. Guess we will see what happens when they go under the Colt camp.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LWRC does not have the greatest reputation anyways. This is one brand I would consider being over priced for what they are. Guess we will see what happens when they go under the Colt camp.

What are you referring to in regards to LWRC? Just curious. I've owned 2 of their rifles and while I find that the piston system to be unnecessary, I never found any issues with their design or quality.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or because we may have one or two "nice" ones, and are busy building an arsenal to outfit our friends. :) When it comes to supplying arms and ammo for others, I find that function and reliability are most important. Other "cool" factors, not so much. When you're building a dozen rifles like I am, you don't feel the need to buy top-end stuff. It's just unnecessary.
That's exactly right. I have friends and family wanting to shoot ar's all the time. That's what the cheap truck gun builds are for.

novtec1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or because we may have one or two "nice" ones, and are busy building an arsenal to outfit our friends. :)

When it comes to supplying arms and ammo for others, I find that function and reliability are most important. Other "cool" factors, not so much. When you're building a dozen rifles like I am, you don't feel the need to buy top-end stuff. It's just unnecessary.

i like this guy....:bowdown:

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Budget builds can be good quality if you do your homework.
However, I would always go with what you know and if you can't afford it, you don't need it, but that's just me :)

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have followed this thread with interest. I have a certain set of features I look for in building a rifle. I want a 1-7 twist barrel with a pinned gas block made of stainless or CMV and chrome lined, a Carpenter 158 bolt, an 8620 carrier, and a nice trigger. If I can get those features for $500 instead of $1000, I will. I don't care about roll marks, names or anything else.

There are a lot of vendors that sell parts from the same manufacturer with a different name marked on the part for vastly varying sums of money. With that in mind, I try to find the cheapest option that meets my criteria.

Latest posts

Top Bottom